Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Faux Leather Sewing Tip (Walking Foot)


The walking foot, who'd a thought it would be such a LIFESAVER? 

So I plan to make some pieces with jersey knits in the near future so I heard a walking foot is pretty much necessary… so I got one! If You didn't know a walking foot is a presser foot you can attach to your sewing machine. It has feed dogs on the top which move with the feed dogs of your machine to walking and equally pull your piece through. As you may know by now I work with faux leather a lot so I was sewing multiple layers together and something familiar happened. The top layer was being stretched while the bottom layer was not, leaving an uneven seam.

Then I remembered the walking foot, it was just an idea… but then it worked! 

The walking foot is a DREAM when sewing just about anything because it ensures your top layer will not be stretched larger than your bottom layer(s)… which means better seams and a better final product!

So there you have it a little faux leather sewing tip from Zane Walker, just use a walking foot (AKA even feed presser foot)!

Now back to my Rhinestoned Dreams,
Zane Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment