Friday, September 28, 2012

ARCHIVE DIY: Galaxy Print Cardigan


Today's "ARCHIVE DIY" post is….

"Galaxy Print Cardigan/Garment of your choice!"

Materials: 
-Dark colored garment (grey cardigan in my case)
-Small bottles of fabric paint in your color choices
-Water
-Sponge paint brushes 
-Area to work on


Set up your workspace and (if you are working on some sort of top) place cardboard or foam board cut to fit between the layers to avoid the bleeding of paint. Start to mix your colors into nice blends varying from dark to light. While blending your colors cut in water to thin out the paint. Thinning out the paint allows you to use less at a time and give you better layering to create "gases" and "cosmos".





Start painting! I ripped the foam piece off of a foam paint brush, this gives you more power over the application. Starting with the dark variation of your first color paint it onto the garment kind of patchy and messy. Now go into the next variation of the color, a little lighter. Do the same over the dark spot just painted but apply it so you can still see through to the darker parts. Do this with your varying lighter shades until you have create this pieces of your galaxy garment.



Once you have done this in the areas wanted using varying colors and shades it's time for the stars. I used both a pencil and a plastic bristle paint brush to make the stars. You can use white and yellow straight from the bottle or cut with water, depending on your preferences. At first I dabbed the pencil in white and made dots throughout the designs, but I found it took too long and looked a bit artificial. So I dabbed my plastic bristle paint brush in the white and kind of flung it over and at the garment. This gives it a randomized dot and splatter that looks like natural stars. You can repeat this with a yellow or gold color for varying stars.





Once you are done painting allow to dry. Following your fabric paint brands instruction for washing. I used Tulip which states wait 72 hours before washing inside out. I did so and all of the paint stayed put and the final product looks amazing, if I say so myself! 


I hope this helps you make your own Galaxy Print Garment, I am going to make a galaxy print bandana (using blank bandanas), and maybe a pair of old shoes! I bought the smallest bottles of fabric paint they had at the store and still used less than half to make a full-bleed galaxy print cardigan!

I also made a mini tote bag for my nephew!

Now back off to my Rhinestoned Dreams,
Zane Walker








No comments:

Post a Comment